Friday, February 20, 2009

Getting Things Done

Yesterday was another of those running around days doing errands where it seemed like all I was doing was looking for one parking space after another and getting in and out of the van. By the time I got home I was exhausted, so I plugged the in the kettle and made myself a cup of tea. Aaaaah...tea warms the body and strengthens the soul.

I had hoped to get at the second, second block of the Tisket-A-Tasket BOM before now but I was busy working on my Easter swaps which are now completed. Now I can relax and do stuff for me again. My one to the states was mailed on Wednesday and the one to Australia will have to wait til our next trip stateside because the cost of mailing packages overseas from Canada is astronomical. New York state is only 40 miles from where we live. We're down there shopping at least once every two weeks and I think we're planning on going next weekend.

I have already completed the February block in cotton doing the traditional needle turn applique method but I also am working on a second set in wool. So, after my cup of tea yeaterday afternoon, I cut out all the pieces, started stitching it last night and completed it this morning.


The colors of the birds should have been reversed but by the time I realized what I had done it was too late...not enough of this blue wool in my stash to cut another one. I know better than to start a project when I'm tired but I'm still happy with the way it turned out.

Lucy, from Quilting with the Past, asked me if I could post some closeup phots of my Featherweight machine. When you visit Lucy's blog, I think you will see that she is as much enamoured with old things as I am. As I mentioned previously, this was a surprise gift that my Dad gave to my Mom shortly after returning from WWII in 1945.


What I didn't tell you was that my Mom was not a sewer and didn't use the machine all that often. I guess that's why it looks almost brand new and works like a charm. It brings me great joy whenever I sew with it and it purrs just like a kitten.

It gets plenty of use now, mostly for uncomplicated piecing. I'm going to use it exclusively on a baby quilt for my nephew and his wife who are expecting their first child in May. I know that would make my Mom both proud and happy.

6 comments:

BlackGirlNameBev said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Comfort Cove Designs said...

Your Featherweight is identical to mine it seems! I just looooove sewing on that little work horse. I just recently posted photos of my little darling on my blog.

You have a beautiful blog and I will be back to visit again soon!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Carrie P. said...

Your block is cute. Still haven't done mine yet.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a gorgeous machine that is and what a treasure. I think you BOM looks wonderful - I would have ever know the birds should have been reversed.

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh Kaaren, your featherweight is beautiful. I recently acquired one and I love it. The stitch quality is great. And it is so fun to use something like that, that has stood the test of time. Being your mothers, how fabulous!

Amy said...

Kaaren,
My best friend was just given a Featherweight(1938)that had been sitting in her mothers closet for 20 plus years.Her mom just remembered it was there one day...I hope to own one someday.Enjoy........Amy