Sunday, March 16, 2014

I'm still here!

I've been pretty quiet here but things have been smoking in my sewing studio. 

I reached the goal I set for myself and on Friday morning, sewed the last stitch into the quilt that I designed for the Primitive Quilts & Projects magazine. This afternoon I'll be piecing the backing fabric then pack it all up to be ready to send off tomorrow to my friend Alice who will be doing the quilting. 

Sorry, no sneak peeks on this one because we want it to be a surprise.  Can you tell I'm excited?

Whenever I finish a project...especially one I've designed myself...I feel like I've emptied the proverbial tank.  

When I was earning my living as an artist, the same thing would happen when I finished painting something that I designed.  Nothing that I've ever designed ends up as the way I initially planned it out on paper.  I constantly change things up as I'm working through it and as a result, the thinking process never stops from start to finish.  Not until the last brush stroke is taken or the last stitch is sewn do I feel like I can relax...and by that time, I'm D-O-N-E!

But having said that, my mind never seems to shut down and the ideas just keep on coming.  

I finished the flimsy on Friday and yesterday morning, a group of friends got together at A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt Shop to sew as our way of celebrating International Quilt Day.  

Well you all know how much I love handwork and working with wool.   

For quite a while now I've had this idea that I'd like to make a purse in the "wool crazy" style. So instead of lugging my machine to Darlene's shop to work on my ENDLESS French braid borders that I still haven't finished for my one and only UFO, I packed up my wool scraps bin...
a little piece of batting to use for the foundation...
and off I went.

While there, I managed to come up with a design and finished laying out the front.
It's going to be a fall-themed purse and last night I sketched and finalized the elements that will appear on the front.

I'm going to take my time and enjoy this little respite because as soon as I finish this project, I'll be starting to work on my next quilt design that's waiting patiently in the wings for me to bring it to life.

Life is sooooooo, so GOOD!


Happy stitching!

16 comments:

Sandi said...

Kaaren, I love your wool colour choices and textures. This will be a great project to watch unfold. Thanks for sharing your process with us.

carla said...

Hi!!!! I love the colors and fabrics you chose!!!! It will be very pretty!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Jeanna said...

Congratulations on the quilt finish. Can't wait to see it in the magazine.

Your bag looks very nice so far...this will be an interesting project.

barcord said...

Your enthusiasm just jumps off the screen at me. I am so glad you are enjoying designing and making up your patterns. The purse is going to be special. Love the colours.xx

marie said...

Hope your going to turn the purse into a pattern! Can't wait to see your quilt in PQM. How exciting for you.

Jacqueline said...

Can't wait to see your new quilt design and your finished purse. You are one talented Lady.

Pam in IL said...

I'm excited to see the wool purse and the quilt you've been working on. Enjoy the time you're working on the purse.

Lesley said...

It's wonderful to hear that your quilt deadline has been met. So have fun relaxing with those beautiful wools!

gracie said...

Oh, I love it!

Janet O. said...

Congrats on pulling together your PQ&P design in time. Can't wait to see it!
What a clever purse foundation. Now to see what you do to this "canvas". : )

Elizabeth said...

My mind is like yours, I have plans for a design but it always ends up different when I finish. Thanks for the tip on using the backing for the wool projects, I didn't realise you started with a base of batting - now I'm really tempted to try a wool project. Glad to hear you've been busy, hope you are well.

Needled Mom said...

The scrappy idea looks great! It sounds like it has been a little crazy there.

Candace said...

Good for us, Kaaren, that your thinking process never stops! Your bag is going to be a stunner for sure!
Cheers!

Susannah said...

Karren, You never stop amazing me!!Your work is so fine and you step right into each project with such gusto but yet steadfast love. You can tell you are delighted with each finished project. I am thinking that you are feeling so much better. I really hope so.

Keep sewing and quilting, You are a great addition to the quilting community!

Susannah

CATHY DANIEL said...

Hi Kaaren - I love what you said about the design process - I find it relaxing and not relaxing all at the same time! My mind never stops turning it all over - it's a wonder any of us ever get any sleep!! xCathy

Judy said...

I love the baby quilt and it sure looks like the little bundle of joy is also enjoying it. I have never used arvil thread and would sure like to win some to try especilly becsusei just bought a new machine and am going to be taking a block of the month class to lern varous things it can do.

Beautiful job for a beautiful baby.